Pelican Lake -- Manitoba Canada

Over the years the fluctuation in Lake levels caused a good deal of consternation among the cottage owners, boaters and fishermen, but in the late 1980’s the Provincial Government financed the Pembina River Diversion at the south end of the lake so that the levels can now be controlled. Around the same time, the Fisheries Branch installed an aerator pump at the north end of the lake; this is to prevent winter kill of fish. The Ninette-Pelican Lake Development Corporation ( a group of concerned citizens) agreed to maintain the pump and in 1990 became the owners of the pump and installed a second pump as well. This all helps to ensure good fishing all year round.

Although there are no longer any commercial boats on the lake, there are plenty of privately owned boats during the summer. The Pelican Lake Yacht Club was established in 1969 at the north end of the lake. They hold races most weekends, host the cadet sailing classes for young people and hosted the Canada Summer Games sailing and board sailing events in 1997.

History of Pelican Lake

Pelican Lake is part of the Pembina River system, and is the largest lake in South West Manitoba. It measures 14 miles by 1 1/2 miles and angles from the Southeast to the Nortwest. It is the only lake in the SW of Manitoba big enough to accommodate filling water bomber planes used to fight forest fires.

The lake has always been a popular recreation spot. Back in 1906 Dick Hall & Wes Hamilton formed a boat company and purchased three launches; the Monarch was a 60 ft. double decker tour boat and the Hawk & Alexander were 40 ft. cargo launches. The Boat Company ran scheduled tours of the lake and the launches delivered mail & supplies to the many campers at Manhattan Beach, Strathcona Park, Balmy Beach and Sunnyside Beach. Sometimes as many as 3 trains brought people from Brandon for a boat excursion and picnic on the lake. The Hall & Hamilton Company disbanded in 1916, but was replaced by the Ninette Boat Company. That company had two 40 ft. launches; the Laurel and the Rose, which continued delivering mail & supplies as well as providing a regular passenger service and running excursions until 1920. The increasing use of automobiles may be what did them in.

   
keystone